If you have been injured in a car crash, truck wreck, motorcycle collision, or other accident where someone else was at fault, it’s very likely that you will receive a letter in the mail from a company called Optum (previously Ingenix) seeking reimbursement for health care costs paid by United Healthcare.

I’m sure that this letter (called a subrogation letter) was unexpected.

Unfortunately, it means that you will need to consult with an experienced injury attorney to make sure that you are fully aware of your legal rights and options – as well as your insurance company’s right to subrogate.

The Subrogation Clause

As a Fort Worth personal injury lawyer, I know that most health insurance policies have what is known as a subrogation clause. This basically permits your health insurance provider (in this case, United Healthcare) to attempt to levy a lien against you for money they have paid for your accident-related injuries.

What It Means

In simple terms, this means that because someone else was responsible for your injuries occurring, United Healthcare is able to try to seek reimbursement from any legal claim you pursue against the at-fault driver’s insurance company in order to receive damages.

When your claim is successful, you may then have to reimburse United Healthcare for their costs.

Notice that United Healthcare does not handle issues of subrogation themselves, however.

They use a company called Ingenix, which is a collections company authorized to act on United Healthcare’s behalf when it comes to situations of subrogation and personal injury compensation.

If you or a member of your family has received a subrogation letter from Ingenix on behalf of United Healthcare, it’s a good idea to consult with an experienced Fort Worth personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to:

  • Make sure that United Healthcare/Ingenix has legitimate grounds to make a subrogation demand
  • That you are fully aware of your legal rights and options
  • That the negligent party responsible for your injuries is held responsible
  • That you don’t end up having to pay United Healthcare/Ingenix anything out of your own pocket

What to Do Next?

In most situations, you will get a subrogation letter from Ingenix within a couple of months after your accident – usually soon after United Healthcare has received their first ER, doctor, or hospital bills related to your accident.

It is a wise move to contact a Fort Worth injury attorney immediately afterward in order to make sure that the appropriate actions are taken quickly to protect you.

You want to make sure that the liable insurance company pays you the full and fair compensation you are entitled to under Texas law.

For a free, no-obligation consultation with a board-certified Fort Worth personal injury attorney regarding your United Healthcare/Ingenix subrogation letter, please contact the Anderson Injury Lawyers.

If you’re in Dallas contact a Dallas auto accident attorney.

Related posts:

Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm in Texas

If you’ve been injured in an accident in Fort Worth or Dallas and need legal help, contact our personal injury lawyers at Anderson Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation. We proudly serve Tarrant County, Dallas County, and throughout Texas.

Anderson Injury Lawyers – Fort Worth Office
1310 W El Paso St, Fort Worth, TX 76102
(817) 294-1900

Anderson Injury Lawyers – Fort Worth Office (Secondary)
6618 Fossil Bluff Dr # 108, Fort Worth, TX 76137
(817) 631-4113

Anderson Injury Lawyers – Dallas Office
408 W Eighth St Suite 202, Dallas, TX 75208
(214) 327-8000

Anderson Injury Lawyers – Dallas Office (Secondary)
6301 Gaston Ave suite 610, Dallas, TX 75214
(469) 457-4711