Were you injured in a boating accident in Dallas, Texas? Was it due to someone else’s negligent or intentional actions? You may be able to seek compensation from the at-fault party for your medical expenses, lost wages, and suffering.
The Dallas boating accident attorneys at Anderson Injury Lawyers are here to help. Our legal team has decades of experience helping personal injury victims seek compensation after devastating accidents like bus accidents in Dallas, TX, bicycle accidents in Dallas, TX, aviation/airplane incidents in Dallas, TX, Uber and Lyft accidents in Dallas, TX, and more practice areas. We know how to stand up to insurance companies and opposing parties and fight for our clients while they recover.
If you’ve sustained injuries in an accident while out on the water in Dallas, TX, we’re here for you. Call (214) 327-8000 or contact our law firm online for a free consultation to see how we can help you seek a fair financial recovery after your boat accident.
How Can Our Personal Injury Lawyers Help You After a Boating Accident in Dallas, TX?
With four million acres of saltwater and 1.7 million acres of lakes, Texas is a prime location for boating, fishing, and water sports. Unfortunately, with thousands of vessels on the water, there’s inevitably a higher potential for accidents.
Anderson Injury Lawyers can help you get back on your feet after a boating accident. Since we opened our doors in 2007, we’ve acquired over $100 million for injured victims throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Whether your accident involved a personal watercraft, jet ski, kayak, sailboat, or any other type of vessel, we’re here to offer assistance.
If you hire our Dallas personal injury attorneys for help after a boating accident, you can expect us to:
- Investigate what caused the boating accident and who may share liability
- Gather evidence proving negligence and the full value of your damages
- Protect you against allegations that you share fault for causing the boat accident
- Negotiate on your behalf while you recover from your boating accident injuries
- Keep you informed throughout the case and ensure you understand your options
- Litigate your boating accident case in a Dallas County court if we fail to secure a fair settlement for you
Call our Dallas law office today to discuss your boating accident, and we’ll explain what we can do to help you secure a favorable outcome.
How Common Are Boating Accidents in Texas?
According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (“TPWD”), in 2020, Texas boating accidents were the highest in 30 years. Fatal accidents rose by 61% from 2019 to 2020. There were 281 accidents that caused 59 fatalities reported on Texas waterways that year.
The Coast Guard reported 4,439 recreational boating accidents in the United States in 2021. They caused 658 deaths and 2,641 injuries. Around 5.4% of the boating accidents occurred in Texas (238). Of those, 52 were fatal accidents, causing 58 deaths. In fatal accidents, 81% of the victims drowned.
What Causes Most Boating Accidents in Texas?
TPWD claims that the leading contributing factors in boating accidents are:
- Operator inattention
- Operator inexperience
- Improper lookout
- Excessive speeds
- Boating while intoxicated
However, negligence comes in all shapes and forms, and other causes could include:
- Making sharp turns
- Exceeding the maximum capacity of the vessel
- Poor boat or engine maintenance
- Violating navigation rules
- Violating boating regulations
- Improper anchoring
- Failing to have working lights
- Failing to have required safety equipment onboard, such as life jackets, visual distress signals, and fire extinguishers
Of course, not all boating accidents are caused by human error. Sudden changes in the weather can cause rough seas, creating dangerous conditions even for the most experienced boaters. Defective boating equipment and machinery failure can also contribute to accidents.
What Is My Dallas Boating Accident Claim Worth?
All watercraft accidents are unique, with different types of vessels, victims, and circumstances.
Accordingly, the value of your boating accident claim will depend on many factors, such as:
- The severity of your boating accident injuries and how they impact your quality of life
- Whether you’re able to work while you’re recovering and the lost wages you sustained
- The medical expenses and out-of-pocket costs you incurred and your anticipated future costs
- The impact of your injuries on your future earning potential
- The pain and suffering you’ve endured
- Whether you share any fault for the boating accident
- The parties involved in the case
- The strength of your evidence
Once we know more about the accident and how it affects your life, we can give you a better idea of what your case may be worth. Contact our Dallas boating accident attorneys today to learn more.
What Types of Compensation Can Boating Accident Victims Recover in Dallas, TX?
Dallas boating accident victims can seek a financial recovery for their economic (monetary) and non-economic (intangible) losses.
Economic damages could include:
- Medical costs, such as ER visits, surgeries, and treatment
- Future healthcare needs, like physical therapy
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
Non-economic damages could include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Lost quality of life
Our boating accident lawyers in Dallas are here to help you identify and fight for every loss you’ve sustained.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Partially At Fault for a Boating Accident in Texas?
Multiple people can share the blame for causing a boating accident – even the victim. Texas law follows a modified comparative negligence rule with a 51% bar to recovery, meaning you’re barred from financial recovery if you share more than 50% of the blame.
You can recover compensation in a personal injury claim if you’re 50% or less responsible for the boat accident. However, your award will be reduced in proportion to your assigned blame. For example, you’re allocated 40% blame for the boat accident. Your award will be reduced by 40%, meaning you can only take home 60%.
The insurance company or opposing party may use this rule to their advantage to try and limit their financial liability. If you’re being blamed for the watercraft accident, contact Anderson Injury Lawyers and let us fight to ensure you receive a fair amount.
What Are Common Injuries Sustained in Boating Accidents?
Accidents on the water kill many people in Texas every year. Others are left with painful injuries that may cause permanent impairments.
Some injuries that boating accident victims may sustain include:
- Broken bones
- Lacerations, contusions, and abrasions
- Sprains, strains, and other soft tissue injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Facial and eye injuries
- Brain injuries in Dallas, TX, including concussions
- Internal organ injuries
- Dallas carbon monoxide poisoning
- Spinal cord injuries
- Paralysis and other catastrophic injuries
No matter what types of injuries you’ve suffered after a boat accident in Dallas, Anderson Injury Lawyers is here to help.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Boating Accident in Dallas?
Negligence is the cause of most Dallas watercraft accidents. Negligence is when a boater or another party fails to act reasonably, causing injury to another person.
To prove negligence in a boating accident case, the plaintiff must demonstrate the following four elements:
- The defendant (e.g., boat operator) owed the plaintiff a duty of care (everyone owes others on the water a duty to act with due care to avoid causing harm)
- The defendant breached their duty of care by acting unreasonably under the circumstances (e.g., by drinking alcohol while operating the vessel)
- The defendant’s breach directly caused the plaintiff’s injuries (causation)
- The plaintiff suffered damages as a result of the defendant’s actions
To prove the elements of negligence, you’ll need evidence such as:
- Medical records
- Photos, videos, and physical evidence from the boat crash
- Doctor’s statements regarding how your injuries affect your life
- Accident reports from the Coast Guard, TPWD, or other investigating agency
- Employment records proving your lost wages
- Eyewitness statements
- Expert witness testimony
Other evidence may be relevant to your case. Our Dallas personal injury attorneys will help you gather proof of your injuries and other damages.
How Long Do I Have To File a Claim After a Boat Accident in Texas?
Texas boating accident victims typically only have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury claim. If you tragically lost a loved one in a boating accident, you have two years from their date of death (which may be different from the accident date) to file a Dallas wrongful death claim.
Don’t let too much time pass before speaking to an experienced personal injury attorney in Dallas. Evidence, including witness recollection, fades over time, making it more difficult to prove your case. Contact us to discuss what happened so we can start building a strong case on your behalf.
Contact Our Dallas Boating Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Boating accidents can cause debilitating injuries and even death. If you or a loved one were injured or killed in a watercraft incident in Dallas, TX, contact Anderson Injury Lawyers for assistance as soon as you can.
Our experienced Dallas boating accident lawyers are here to help you gather evidence and negotiate on your behalf while you focus on recovering. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there’s no risk in reaching out to our personal injury law firm for help today.