Posted in: by Anderson Injury Lawyers

Sometimes it’s easy to determine who is financially responsible for a car accident, but other times it can be more difficult. When a crash occurs on a public roadway, the police often determine fault. However, car insurance coverage can be more complex when car accidents occur on private property.

What Insurance Coverage Covers Accidents on Private Property?

There are multiple different types of insurance that might cover a car accident on private property.

Liability Coverage

If you are at fault for the crash, your own liability coverage will not cover your damages. However, if someone else is at fault, their liability insurance will cover your property damage, medical bills, and other damages.

Collision Coverage

If you have collision coverage, it will cover your property losses associated with the car accident. Even if you are to blame for the crash, your collision policy will cover damages to your car on private property.

Med Pay

You may have opted for insurance coverage for medical payments, often called “Med Pay.” This will pay a certain amount of your medical bills immediately. The insurance company will often cut you a check for this amount with very few questions asked.

Personal Injury Protection Coverage

PIP is similar to Med Pay coverage. It will take care of your passengers’ medical bills, lost wages, and other nonmedical costs. Your insurance company must offer you PIP coverage, and if you don’t want it, you must tell the insurance company in writing.

Car Insurance Requirements in Texas

Texas law requires a certain amount of liability coverage if you drive a car. You must have at least $30,000 for injuries per person, $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage. This is often called 30/60/25 coverage.

Texas does not require collision, med pay, or PIP insurance coverage. However, if you don’t, you may not have insurance coverage for damages on private property unless you can prove the other party is at fault.

Can You Recover Compensation if the Property Owner is At Fault?

Yes. You could get compensation from the property owner if they were at fault for your accident. For example, if they did not have proper signage or did not properly maintain their property, you may be able to prove they should be financially liable. It’s best to talk to a car accident lawyer who can help you file an insurance claim with the property owner’s insurance company or file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.

Proving Fault in a Wreck on Private Property

When you have an accident on public roadways, you typically call a police officer to make a report. The police officer is likely to describe what happened and determine who was at fault. However, many police departments will not make a report for accidents that occur on private property. This makes it challenging to prove fault.

How to Prove Fault on Private Property

You must gather as much evidence as possible if you have an accident on private property. There may be video cameras and eyewitnesses who can state specifically what happened. You should also take pictures and videos of the scene to have proof of the cause of the accident. The more information you can collect, the better.

Who is At Fault in a Parking Lot Accident?

Parking lots are probably one of the most common places for private property car accidents. If a parking lot accident occurs when one person is backing up and hits another person driving straight, the person who was backing is almost always to blame. If a wreck happens when a car rear-ends another car, then the vehicle to the back is usually at fault.

However, if the property owner poorly maintained the parking lot or failed to provide signage indicating potential hazards, they could be at fault. The specific details of the accident must be evaluated to determine who was at fault.

Call Anderson Injury Lawyers After a Crash on Private Property

Car accidents on private property can be complex. It’s best to approach the insurance claim with a lawyer by your side. Contact Anderson Injury Lawyers at 817-294-1900 or use our online contact form to reach out.