The moments after a car accident in Fort Worth, TX, can be confusing, but when a hit-and-run accident occurs, it can be downright terrifying. You’re hurt and left without any assistance while the person who caused it races away from the scene. What do you do?
The experienced legal team at Anderson Injury Lawyers is here to help you make sense of the senseless. Contact us today at (817) 294-1900 to learn how we can help and to speak with an experienced Fort Worth hit-and-run accident lawyer.
Table of Contents
How Our Fort Worth Hit & Run Lawyers Can Help
A Fort Worth car accident attorney wants to help you locate the at-fault driver and recover maximum compensation for your accident. While you rest and recover from your injury, our legal team will handle all communications and negotiations on your behalf to arrive at a fair settlement. And if the other party won’t negotiate in good faith, we’ll be willing to bring your case to court. Mark Anderson is uniquely qualified to help you with your case because he:
- Has over 30 years of experience
- Is board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a distinction that only a small percentage of lawyers in the state have
- Is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Is named in Expertise Best Car Accident Lawyers in Fort Worth 2021
- Has a perfect 10.0 Superb Rating on Avvo
Our team has successfully recovered more than $100 million for our deserving clients. Let us put our experience and skills to use to help you recover your fair compensation after a hit-and-run accident. Contact us today in Fort Worth, Texas, for a free case review.
What Is Your Legal Responsibility After a Car Accident?
Under Texas law, you are required to do the following if you are involved in an accident that causes injury or death:
- Immediately stop at the scene or as close to it as possible
- Check on anyone involved in the accident to determine if they need aid
- Provide their name, address, the registration number of their vehicle, and the name of their liability insurance carrier to anyone injured in the accident
- Show their driver’s license if asked by a person injured in the accident
- Provide reasonable assistance to anyone injured in the accident, including making arrangements for transporting the injured person to a medical provider
After a law enforcement officer responds to the scene of an accident, they can prepare an accident report, which can be a very valuable piece of evidence for your claim.
What Is Hit and Run in Texas?
Failing to take the actions listed above when a person is involved in an accident involving injury or death is considered a hit-and-run under Texas law. This is a crime that can result in up to five years imprisonment and a fine of up to $5,000.
How Common Are Hit and Run Crashes?
The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety reports that 2,049 people died in hit-and-run crashes in one recent year. However, there are many more hit-and-run accidents than fatal ones. Over 749,000 occurred in one recent year, many of which caused serious injuries to those involved.
Common Causes of Hit and Run Accidents
One of the leading causes of hit-and-run accidents is impaired driving. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, drivers who leave the scene of an accident are between two and nine times more likely to be intoxicated. Additionally, drivers in hit-and-run fatal crashes are more likely to be young males with a history of DWI and license suspension.
Hit-and-run accidents may also occur when the driver is breaking the law by:
- Driving without insurance
- Driving without a license
- Driving a stolen vehicle
- Street racing
- Fleeing from a crime
Inexperienced drivers or those who know they have violated traffic rules may also flee the scene of the accident.
What To Do After a Hit and Run Crash in Fort Worth, Texas
If you are involved in an accident where the other driver flees, here are some steps to take:
- Stop at the scene – Even if the other driver sped off, do not chase them. This could be dangerous and also subject you to possible penalties or consequences.
- Report the accident – Contact the police and report that the other driver fled. Give the police as much information as you can remember about the driver and their vehicle.
- Write down details – Quickly write down as many details as you can remember, including the driver’s license plate number and the make, model, and color of the car. Ask any witnesses for their contact information.
Also, contact an experienced hit-and-run lawyer. A lawyer can help identify your options, help you file a claim with your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and work with police to try to identify the at-fault driver.
Contact a Fort Worth Hit and Run Lawyer for Help
If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, you deserve justice and accountability. Anderson Injury Lawyers wants to help you obtain them. Contact us today for a free case review. Our Fort Worth hit-and-run accident attorneys are standing by.
You can also get in touch with one of our Dallas car wreck attorneys.