Accident rates tend to spike in metropolitan areas, so it should come as no surprise that Austin has significantly higher accident and injury rates than communities in more remote parts of Texas. These statistics are limited strictly to the city of Austin and do not include suburban areas or neighboring communities.
Austin Car Accident Statistics
- In 2020, there were 11,755 crashes in Austin
- 3,846 Austin crashes caused possible injuries
- 3,459 people suffered non-incapacitating injuries in Austin crashes
- 420 people sustained serious or severe injuries in an Austin car accident
- There were 92 fatalities on Austin roads in 2020
What to Do After a Car Crash
When you take the proper steps after a car accident in Austin, you protect your right to seek compensation and keep yourself safe. Here’s what we recommend:
01 Call 911
Even if no one is seriously injured, call 911 right away. Injuries may not be immediately obvious, and the accident must be documented and reported.
02 Seek Medical Care
Many victims avoid seeking medical care because they are afraid of the cost. However, many serious injuries do not become apparent for days, at which point they may already be life-threatening. Get checked out promptly at a local hospital, such as St. David’s Medical Center, Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin, or Arise Austin Medical Center.
03 Gather Evidence
If you are able to do so, take photos and video of the crash scene from multiple angles. This evidence is only available for a short period of time, and any documentation you can provide to your insurance company and attorney is essential.
04 Exchange Contact Information
Exchange contact and insurance information with the other party. Avoid saying anything else, as an apology can be construed as a confession and accusing the other party could escalate the situation. Additionally, get contact information for any witnesses on the scene.
05 Contact Your Insurance
Report the accident to your insurance provider as soon as possible.
06 Call Us
Reach out to the team at Anderson Injury Lawyers to start exploring your legal options.
We know that a car accident can leave you financially devastated. The full impact of a crash takes time to assess, which is why we are so thorough in our investigation. The goal of the insurance company is to settle quickly for as little as possible. We won’t let that happen.
Depending on the types of injuries you have sustained and the severity of your accident, we may pursue the following types of compensation on your behalf:
- Medical bills and other expenses, such as adaptive equipment, prescription copays, and transportation expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Lost income potential if the accident permanently affects your ability to work or get promoted
- Physical limitations
Most personal injury cases are settled out of court. A lawsuit is risky for insurance companies, which is why they are generally willing to negotiate. Our team is full of aggressive negotiators who know how insurance companies work, what evidence makes them reconsider their offer, and how to push them to pay fair compensation. If the insurance company won’t budge, we move quickly to file a lawsuit. No matter what, our goal is to get you the compensation you are rightfully owed.
Remember that the statute of limitations in Texas is two years from the time of your car accident. Time passes quickly when you are struggling to juggle financial changes, heal from physical injuries, and get back to normal after a life-changing crash. If you wait too long to reach out to an attorney, you could lose your right to pursue compensation.
Unfortunately, car accidents are a common cause of death in Austin and throughout the United States. If you lost someone you love in a car accident, we feel for your loss. After a fatal car crash, surviving family members may be able to seek:
- Medical expenses incurred between the time of the accident and the victim’s death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income and financial support
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of domestic services and support
- Mental anguish
Accident Victim with Lost Wages Awarded $637,000 Settlement
$510,000 Settlement Won For Drunk Driving Victim
We Won $500,000 for Our Rear-End Accident Victim
$392,500 Settlement for Federal Agent Hurt in T-Bone Accident
$335,000 to Arlington Hit and Run Car Wreck Victim
Additional Information about truck accidents
Resources for Truck Accident Victims
In the wake of a car accident, it is crucial to take care of yourself and get the support you need. Please explore our list of resources for Austin car accident victims.
- Texas Health and Human Services, which runs support groups for people with acquired traumatic brain injuries and their loved ones
- Your Texas Benefits, providing information on disability benefits and other public services for those with disabilities
- Brain Injury Association of Austin, offering support to brain injury survivors and their family members
- Austin Police Department where you can request a copy of your accident report
If you suffered harm in an accident or any incident caused by negligence, contact Anderson Injury Lawyers right away. We offer individualized attention, over 25 years of experience, and everything you need to get everything you deserve.
- We accept calls 24/7 /
- We’ll meet you where it’s convenient /
- free consultations /
- no upfront legal fees /
- you owe us nothing unless we win